Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Koh Kwon Do

Koh Kwon Do is a form of martial arts.  I started teaching Kohdee as soon as he was born.  When he was born, he still thought he was part of his mother.  Maybe he kind of knew, but it was a different environment.  So, when he was lying down, I would play with his feet and sometimes push against them at different angles.  He could only learn for a few minutes at a time and would start to cry.  I stopped at that point and waited until next time.
 
If you notice his left shoulder drooped with a different curl in each hand, he is displaying the results of the events a few seconds prior.  His stance is slightly off balance there because he is displaying victory to the camera.
 
I named it "Koh Kwon Do" for a reason.  It is a Thai form of Tai Kwon Do.  Thais express this often as their own form that I affectionately call "Thai Kwon Do".  They taught me much of this while I was there.  I also have noticed and call his mother's form "Ka Kwon Do".
 
Kohdee has learned to learn from simply watching experts.  We went to visit a Muay Tai kick boxer.  He is a professional and what they call a "super star" in Thailand.  Kohdee learned some from him, but was not ready for his upper body lessons yet.  I think he may have learned something from Kohdee about balance though.  That is my opinion.

All forms mentioned above have elements of physical and mental, but much communication.  It is a form of self-defense and leadership.  Without the need for physical altercation except in extreme moments.  My (Kohdee's father) form is similar.  I started practicing when I was 16 by punching a variety of surfaces as hard as I could without hurting the surface or my hand (too much).  Over the years it culminated in large granite surfaces and moving wood as well as corrugated metal.  I had not marred the surface of anything until a soft wall in a bar in Tampa, Florida.  Apparently the lighting and the texture work of the plaster was too good for me to detect the strength of the surface.  I accidentally punched a large indentation.  Pretty funny actually.  I gave the bartender $60 to cover the cost of the repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment